Thursday, January 26, 2017

THAT AGE

If I live to be that age
I won’t confine
the painter in me to a studio
to re-paint,
ad infinitum,
any elegies to the Spanish Republic.
If I’ll need a wheelchair
but have limited resources
I may not be allowed the luxury of electric scaffolding
to reach the upper limits of room-height canvases.

I won’t start playing music again.
I’m through with all that noise-making and rattling –
the old bones vying with the drums
and chukka-chukka rhythm guitar.
Hasn’t my joyful noise been joyful enough
to remain in the past,
where all those old songs refuse to go away,
where people crave to hear them
not because of what they signify
but because that’s what they’ve always done
and they refuse to get old,
much less dignified.

If I should become more the outdoorsy gentleman,
(with the understanding that I’d wear a lot more tweed),
come autumn
I think I’ll be happy counting leaves,
inventorying spider webs,
or negotiating with a pesky stump in our landscaped lawn
that is rotting at a slower rate than me.
For the obligatory strolls I’ll be having
my walking stride will be so scientifically measured
that I’ll know the exact number of steps it takes
to go the mile from my house
to the end of Raccoon Drive
then on to Fire Station #3.

I won’t need to count steps
as much as I’ll need to make mental notes
of the changes in our suburban landscape
or assess the damage sustained
by that old rusting bucket-of-bolts in the sun.
I’ll see the occasional line of cars
making their way
to the neighbors’ house in the cul-de-sac.
I’ll mark the progress of the shrubs
planted last spring
by Ms Something-or-D’ruther.
I’ll chase the stray cats that take food from mine.
I’ll fix light switches,
refinish old lamp tables,
and spray-wash the patio (again).
The light will change
from brilliant summer glare
to a softer autumnal gold.
Shadows will lengthen and shorten
as they’ve always done.
I’ll wonder about who may have cast the first shadows
on this land buttressing the bayou.
Were they the indigenous peoples
that held off the swarms of mosquitoes?
Did they coat themselves
with the clay that eventually
gummed the molds at the brickyards?

The questions I’ve carried with me
my entire life
(do I belong? and where?)
will quietly fade –
with a thought remembered
being trumped by forgetting it –
and I will fade
as all will fade

against dead then deader light.


-jim hill (3-20-2015)

No comments: