Thursday, March 5, 2009

she is who she was

SHE IS WHO SHE WAS

I looked
At this stain (at this shadow)
And thought I saw you
Staring up at me.
I’ve taken the easy way of sentiment
And turned it into an experience
Of reflection. No one knows if
I think; in fact some believe I never did.
If you were my father, you could use your right
To ignore
Or to misunderstand.
If you were my mother
You would use your time
To place me in a role
That was not befitting or proper
For someone so close to you.

In these ways I’ve come to understand
That you have reluctantly embodied
Those I knew and those I’ve not met.
I respect what you are and where you’ve chosen
To spend your life
And with whom you’ve chosen to spend it with.

You are not an empty vessel and not empty headed
I do, however, think you are not utilizing your full potential
As you vacillate back and forth between youth and maturity
Your hands and neck will betray your mental age and some will
See you as the Tinker Bell who never grew up
But never found it in herself to re-unite
With a man
Once known as Peter Pan.


-jim hill (1-20-09)

No comments: